Monday, September 17, 2007

NBA Refs Not Named Donaghy In The News

It was announced today that Referee Joey Crawford has been reinstated as an active ref by the NBA. Crawford previously had been criticized as letting personal differences with players get in the way of objective officiating. While I cannot say I'm totally shocked, he was routinely graded by the NBA as one of the best, I was a bit surprised by the news. How can a few months bring about a transformation? Are we really sure the old Crawford won't return next year? What happens when the Spurs and Tim Duncan come back to town?

What I will say is I think this announcement was a way for the NBA to get media and fans to start talking about something else. To stop talking about refs fixing games and to start debating something else. And this was a perfect choice because there were two trains of thought in suspending Crawford. I don't think this will erase the cloud of negativity but it will push it back a bit. Just like the Vick case has taken a back seat to the NFL and particularly the Belichick issue, the NBA is hoping its worse fears go away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home