Thursday, September 20, 2007

The Sound Of Empty Seats

So I've been pretty much out of the loop sports-wise lately (save for football) and I've missed much of the Astros GM search. Then I open my email and find out Ed Wade is the new Astros GM. The same Ed Wade that never made the playoffs in 8 years in Philadelphia. I mean if Drayton wanted that, then he should have just kept Purpura. Would have been cheaper too.

Here are some of the highlights from the Wade regime. He inherited Terry Francona and fired him after 3 seasons. Then he hired Larry Bowa (a retread coach no one wants to play for) and he proceeded to do nothing. Then he hired Charlie Manuel instead of Jim Leyland after Bowa was fired. Not the best moves managerially.

How about the personnel side? Well he let go of Scott Rolen and Curt Schilling for virtually nothing. He signed David Bell and Mike Lieberthal for ridiculous money. And he gave no trade clauses to Bobby Abreu and Jim Thome that bit him in the butt. Sure, he developed the young players that Philly has now. But what can he do once they get there?

I'll hope for the best and give the man his chance but my gut says otherwise. I give him 4 years and no playoff appearances before he gets the ax as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home